Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Detection Tool

Friday, August 7, 2009

"THAT'S FRITILARIOUS!"

Everywhere I turn lately, these Fritilary butterflies are flitting around. I don't recall seeing so many. In spite of the clouds and rain, could this be The Year Of The Fritilary? They are a bit of a challenge to photograph; I had to take lots of rapid fire shots as the butterflies close their wings nearly the second they land. Because they are skittish, I chose a spot in the garden where I had seen them feeding, then planted myself and waited for them to come. I also used a 400mm lens, so I didn't have to be too close to them, or them to me. Of course, the mosquitoes were also abundant but I had to let them bite me. If I slapped and swatted, that would have spooked the Fritilarys. To stand still while being bitten by insects requires a certain kind of Zen concentration. My mind wanders down the trail of West Nile Virus and Encephalitis, wondering if I'll know the symptoms in time. Afterall, a disciplined photographer can't go gettting all fritilarious, now can she?




2 comments:

  1. I was wondering where they all were. We were out yesterday in an area where we normally see tons of Fritilaries and saw absolutely zero. Send a few our way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about being a MARTYR...Sacrificing yourself to those ravenous Maine mosquitoes! BUT...your photos were well worth it.
    P&P

    ReplyDelete